Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Child Custody During a Divorce: The Children Come First

When children are caught in the middle of divorce proceedings, it can often lead to an ugly custody battle. Kids who are already going through an emotional upheaval due to the divorce will have even more stress shoved on them when that battle throws them in the middle. An important question the parents should ask themselves is, "Is a custody battle worth it?"
Remember the Children...
When my ex husband and I divorced, we decided first and foremost to put the children first. He had once told me that if our marriage were to ever end, he would fight me for custody. I believed him. He was, and is, a wonderful father. There was no reason to turn what could be a fairly amicable divorce into an ugly custody battle for no apparent reason. As unconventional as it was at the time, and as heartbreaking as it was for me, he retained custody of our children. The result? Because we did our best to put our differences aside during the divorce proceedings, we are friendly towards each other today. We can be together for ball games and school functions without any tension. My oldest son recently told me that our divorce was "different" from other divorces his friends' parents had gone through and he was glad that his father and I got along. Hearing his thoughts made that heartbreaking decision worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment